Guidance for Prevention of Infection and Illness at School
- Hands should be washed frequently using soap and water and drying with disposable towels. Ensure that hand sinks are stocked with soap and towels at all times. Hand sanitizers should not replace hand washing.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Avoid close contact with sick people – no kissing, hugging, handshakes
- Do not share drinks, utensils, water bottles, especially drinks at sport activities
- Staff and students that are ill with disruptive cough, vomiting or diarrhea should not attend school and should remain home until at least 24-48 hours after symptoms have resolved.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness, stay home from school for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
Sites for state and local health information, updates, and alerts: